Spanish versions of MAP Growth reading and math tests will now be included with your MAP Growth license at no additional cost. Spanish MAP Growth reading tests are new and allow you to measure growth for your Spanish-speaking students the same way you already do for your English-speaking students. NWEA is dedicated to equity in assessment and that means bringing you the same assessments you know and data you trust to provide more complete insights for all students.
- Do Spanish MAP Growth reading and math have norms?
Yes. Spanish MAP Growth math uses the same norms as standard English MAP Growth math. Spanish MAP Growth reading has user norms (not national norms) which were developed from the testing population of the 2018-19 pilot year. National norms will be developed when the necessary amount of data are available.
- Can I compare Spanish and English RIT scores?
Yes. For example, a 200 in Spanish equals a 200 in English. However, for Spanish MAP Growth reading, the percentiles will differ since the norming populations are different. Spanish MAP Growth math uses the same norms as standard English MAP Growth math, so the percentiles are the same and comparable.
- Are Spanish data available in reports just like English data?
Yes. Spanish MAP Growth reading data are available in all regular MAP Growth reports except the Projected Proficiency report. They will have a separate growth event from English reading, meaning you can track longitudinal growth for each. In reporting, like the Student Profile report for example, you will see Reading-Spanish included on a separate tab like a separate subject. On the other hand, math only has one growth event per testing term, meaning only the test (English or Spanish) will the lowest Standard Error of Measure (SEM) will be counted for longitudinal growth and appear in most reports.
- Are there Learning Continuum for Spanish MAP Growth reading and math?
Yes. Because the learning constructs of Spanish and English reading are different, Spanish MAP Growth reading tests will have their own Learning Continuum. Spanish and English MAP Growth math will continue to share a Learning Continuum.
- What is available to help students take the Spanish MAP Growth tests?
There are student practice tests available at https://studentresources.nwea.org/.
Also, students will now see an option to translate the test instructions (not the test items themselves) into Spanish. Note that this feature is available on ALL MAP Growth tests, not just Spanish assessments.
Text-to-speech and screen reader support are currently not available for Spanish assessments, but will become available in a future update.
Are you interested in learning more about how MAP Spanish can make a difference in your program? Check out several short videos from the NWEA Professional Learning Team that provide an overview of MAP Spanish, test assignments, and reports.
After July 22, a new Spanish Tests help topic with new videos can be found in the MAP Help Center including the following.
- Introduction: Spanish MAP Growth (Understand the value of Spanish MAP Growth assessment)
- How to Use Spanish MAP Growth Reports and Data (Viewers will understand how Spanish MAP Growth gives them actionable insights into the learning needs of their Spanish-speaking students))
- Spanish and English Language Development and Instruction: How They Differ (Understand the differences in how Spanish and English language development and potential impacts on instruction)