The Smarter Balanced (SBAC) linking study is available for grades 3-8. The 2015 Comparative Data to Inform Instructional Decisions document also contains cut scores for Smarter Balanced Level 3 for grades 3-8
Available gradesSmarter Balanced has assessments for grades 3-8 and a high school assessment that is designed for 11th grade but may be administered in grades 9-12. NWEA's linking study has data for grades 3-8. We do not currently have linking cut scores available for the high school (11th grade) Smarter Balanced assessment, because we did not have a large enough sample size of students who took both the SBAC 11th grade test and MAP Growth.
As an alternative for partner districts looking for guidance on determining whether their high school students are college and career ready, we have a MAP Growth College Readiness Benchmarks study available on NWEA.org.
The Smarter Balanced assessments have 4 achievement levels. Level 3 roughly correlates with being on track for college and career readiness (CCR). Different states may use different names for the levels.
For more information, see:
- Reporting Achievement Level Descriptors (smarterbalanced.org)
- Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments (smarterbalanced.org)
- Linking the Smarter Balanced Assessments to NWEA MAP Assessments (NWEA.org)
- Smarter Balanced and MAP Growth Linking Data Table (NWEA.org)
- MAP Growth College Readiness Benchmarks Study summary