Screen magnifiers are built into Windows and Mac operating systems and can be used to test visually impaired students with TestTaker
Windows 7:Windows Magnifier can be used to enlarge the screen with TestTaker. Follow these steps to enable Windows Magnifier:
If you plan to use the Lens or Full Screen Magnifier options, make sure your computer is set to use one of the Aero Windows themes (see your Control Panel personalization settings).
- Start Windows Magnifier by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > Magnifier.
- Select Views (Full Screen or Lens)
- Select the magnification level using the + and - buttons.
- Open TestTaker.
TestTaker will not launch if Magnifier is already running. You must launch Magnifier using a keyboard shortcut after TestTaker is open.
Create a keyboard shortcut to Microsoft Magnifier as follows:
- Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier.
- Right-click on Magnifier and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab.
- Click the Shortcut key field. Hit the keyboard combination that you would like to use to launch Magnifier going forward. For example, if you want to start Magnifier by pressing Ctrl + Shift + M, click the Shortcut key field and then hold down Ctrl + Shift + M on your keyboard.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Notes for Windows XP:
- The magnifier appears in the background and magnifies the text that the mouse hovers over. It does not magnify text throughout the entire application screen. You may need to re-size your TestTaker window to see the magnified text throughout the entire screen.
- When Microsoft Magnifier is in use, the Go On button in MAP TestTaker is not visible during testing because the taskbar is active. To move to the next question, students must select an answer and then press the Enter key.
- The Proctor Administration Menu (by pressing Ctrl + Shift + P) does not work when Microsoft Magnifier is active.
- When taking a test, you may need to intermittently resize the windows to see all available answers.
Zoom only works with TestTaker 8 for PowerPC Macs. Zoom is a built-in, full-screen magnifier that can magnify items on the screen up to 40 times.
Mac OS X:
Mac OS X 10.8 or higher:
- Go to System Preferences > Accessibility
- Select Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom
- Press Option + Command + 8 to enable Zoom
- Launch TestTaker
Mac OS X 10.7 or lower:
- Select System Preferences > Universal Access> Seeing tab
- Select Zoom: On
- Click Options to select the Maximum and Minimum range for Zoom with the slider bars.
- Click Done.
- Close the Universal Access window.
- Press Option + Command + 8 to enable Zoom.