How do I use the new roster template (released April 2017)?

Document created by Community User on Apr 21, 2017Last modified by Community User on Jun 6, 2017
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Question
NWEA released a new roster template in April 2017. Do I need to use this roster, and if so, how do I use it? What data do I put in the new fields?

Answer

What's new in the roster?

We have added three new optional columns to the roster templates:
  • School Code
  • Instructor State ID
  • Student State ID
These fields will support future functionality for states using MAP. Currently, these fields are optional for all users.

Do I have to use the new template?

No. You may continue using the old template. When the new template format becomes required, we will inform you in advance.

You can download a copy of the old template file here: Roster File Template pre-April 2017

How can I convert my roster from the old template to the new template?

You can copy and paste the data from your old template into the new template. Follow these instructions:
  1. From the old template, copy columns A - C (School Name - Instructor ID) and paste them into the new template, columns B - D.
  2. From the old template, copy columns D - K (Instructor Last Name - Student ID) and paste them into the new template, columns F - M.
  3. From the old template, copy columns L - end (Student Last Name - end) and paste them into the new template, columns O - end.
  4. In the new template, verify the following columns:
    • Column A: Has the header School Code, but is otherwise blank.
    • Column E: Has the header Instructor State ID, but is otherwise blank.
    • Column N: Has the header Student State ID, but is otherwise blank.
    • Final column: Should be either column U (Student Ethnic Group Name), or column W (Student Email), depending on whether you use Skills Navigator.

How do I use the new template if I am extracting it from my student information system (SIS)?

Because the column order has changed, you must update your extraction script or program. In the meantime, you may continue using the older roster template. For assistance with updating your extraction, please contact the company that creates your SIS.

Article Number

Attachments

Outcomes