Accommodations categories: Universal features, designated features and accommodations

Document created by Community User on Jul 21, 2018
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
As of December 2017, accommodations in MAP Growth tests are grouped into 3 main categories: Universal features, designated features, and accommodations. Some of these features and accommodations are embedded into the test (such as text-to-speech, or the highlighter tool) while others are either not embedded or are provided locally (such as scratch paper, or frequent breaks).


Universal features

Universal features are accessibility supports that are either embedded and provided digitally in the MAP assessment (for example, the highlighter) or non-embedded and provided non-digitally at the local level (for example, scratch paper). Universal features are available to all students, and do not appear on reports since all students receive the same tools.

Why can’t I assign embedded universal features?

You cannot individually assign embedded features in the MAP assignment screen, as they are automatically available to all students. However, you can select non-embedded features.

Designated features

Designated features are those features that are available for use by any student for whom the need has been indicated by an educator (or a team of educators, including the parents or guardians and the student if appropriate) who is familiar with the student's characteristics and needs. Embedded designated features are provided digitally in the MAP assessment (for example, text-to-speech), while non-embedded designated features are provided locally (for example, a magnification device). Designated features must be assigned to a student by trained educators or teams using a consistent process.


Accommodations are changes in procedures or materials that ensure equitable access to instructional and assessment content and generate valid assessment results for students who need them. Accommodations are generally available for students for whom there is a documented need on an IEP or 504 accommodation plan, although some organizations also offer accommodations for English language learners.

See also:

Article Number