Virginia Williams

Back to School:  The Behavior Conversation

Discussion created by Virginia Williams on Jul 6, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 by natalie.laderas@nwea.org

As we begin preparing to start a new school year, (yes, folks, it really isn't that far away) my thoughts have wandered to my early days in my teacher preparation program.  It seems like this time of year is always a reminder of beginnings, growth, and thoughts of fresh starts, so it is not surprising that my mind is focusing on a favorite author, Harry Wong and one of my favorite books:  The First Days of School:  How to be an effective teacher.  I can't tell you how many times that I have read this book in July.  It is always a thought provoking, reflective exercise, especially when it comes to classroom behavior. 

This year, as I prepare for the new year, I am reflecting not only on Harry Wong, but also on a recent experience that I had during a professional development session.  This experience made me think about how data talks support positive behavior in the classroom.  (Read about this experience on Teach Learn Grow.)  As I reflect on this experience, I am wondering how others may be using data conversations with students to support positive mindsets. Any ideas for a new school year kickoff? back to school behavior  growth mindset

Outcomes