Tara Manson

Implementing Data Use

Discussion created by Tara Manson on Mar 12, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 by Michele Downey

I am interested in how other teachers are using MAP data for instructional change, specifically as a collaborative process among departments or grade levels. As anyone who has used data for instructional change can understand, analyzing data and implementing subsequent change can be time consuming and overwhelming for teachers, especially when first being introduced to MAP data.

In order for data to be used effectively within a school, it is essential to create a collaborative, social process in which teachers can reflect on the data and establish clear goals (Halverson, Grigg, Prichett, & Thomas, 2007). I believe there are two critical components of proper implementation of data-driven instruction using MAP data that are allocating time to departments/grade levels to specifically analyze data and create plans for using the data for instructional change, and ongoing support for teachers to ensure that they understand the data that they have from MAP testing.

Administration in a school needs to understand that analyzing data is time-consuming, and that is even before they are attempting to put it into practice for future instructional planning. Teachers require a considerable amount of time to meet and collaborate with one another in order to use the data in a way that is meaningful and beneficial for student achievement. If we train our teachers to use the data effectively, it will not be of any use to the school if we do not allow teachers time to put it into practice.

I believe that ongoing support can come in the form of professional development workshops throughout the year, using the NWEA Professional Learning Online, and having a Data Coach in the school that is available for support throughout the year. 

I am interested to hear how other schools have overcome these obstacles of time constraints and providing ongoing support for teachers in order to create a sustainable, data-driven approach to promote student achievement.

#

Outcomes