Jennifer Anderson

The Power of Positivity

Discussion created by Jennifer Anderson on Oct 15, 2018

As told by 2018 State Teachers of the Year

“Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you.” – Mary Lou Retton
“In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.” - Dalai Lama

These two quotes came across my screen this week – both spoke on the outcomes of putting focus and energy on what’s positive. I don’t know about you, but sometimes that’s really hard for me! Yet, in my work with teachers, I get to see with regularity what a powerful force a flicker of positive light can offer to a student, or a school. In my humble opinion, it’s one more precious super power you have as “teacher”. 

I believe this is one of the reasons our conversations with the State Teachers of the Year on what makes them feel optimistic about students and education generated the most energy and community discussion. 

We wanted to share of few of their ideas with you – in hopes that as a community we can collectively focus on optimism, and harness the power of positivity.

View and download image: Top 10 Reasons Why Teachers Feel Optimistic About Education 

Stories collected from the 2018 State Teachers of the Year who were brought together by the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) in May 2018. Stay tuned for the next in our short series.

Outcomes