Jennifer Clairmont

New Norms: With many school closures, should be we expect a decline in RIT scores?

Discussion created by Jennifer Clairmont on Mar 26, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2020 by Nancy Lamb

Hello MAP Community,

I am excited to see the new norms being used.  Being new to MAP Growth, the data is incredibly powerful because of the millions users in the norming group.  I can't say enough positive words on the incredible PLC conversations and learning we've had as educators and how excited our pilot campuses are when they see our next results, perhaps in the Fall of 2020.

Because of school closures, should we expect to see a more significant drop in RIT scores for Fall/BOY testing than usual?  

I did read that RIT norms went down in some areas, so a RIT score of ### was at 40th%tile, may now be at the 45th%tile (example only!)- so I am curious how much other school district may train leaders on this or if you will "let it all come out in the wash." 

I am assuming that our overall RIT scores may be lower, but I am curious what others think. I definitely want to stay positive and proactive in training our staff on understanding this and how to communicate this to others.

Also, if this is a possibility, I want to prepare our staff to communicate with students on goals and parents in a positive manner.  I am new to MAP, so if you have any guidance on what you are planning or if we probably WON'T see an overall decline in RIT scores across the board, would you please share your advice and thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very helpful and insightful excerpts from the recent 2020 Norm Release Notes- link to full release below.  

2020 MAP Growth Norms Introduction and FAQ

How should partners utilize the new Spring-to-Fall term pair data?

Student achievement in the fall is typically lower than it was before summer break. This phenomenon is often called “summer loss” or “summer slide.” With the inclusion of Spring-to-Fall growth norms in the 2020 MAP Growth Norms Study, partners will now be able to contextualize students’ summer loss to understand if observed changes in scores over the summer are more or less than the average changes in scores for students across the U.S. 

What changes in student achievement did you find while developing the 2020 norms?

The general trend observed in the 2020 norms is that student achievement has declined since 2015.

The trends in 4th and 8th grade student achievement observed in the 2020 MAP Growth norms are consistent with those observed on other external benchmarks including the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP).

How does the downward trend in student achievement affect the status percentiles associated with RIT scores?

The average RIT score associated with a particular grade/subject tends to be lower in 2020 than in 2015.  This means that the same RIT score for the same grade level, for the same testing season, and in the same subject area will generally be associated with a higher status percentile rank in the 2020 norms than in the 2015 norms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice from our expert users or even other considerations at this point?  

Many thanks,

Jennifer

Outcomes