When using a refreshable braille display with JAWS, dots 7 and 8 are raised throughout the test, creating an underline effect.
This behavior is caused by a setting in JAWS that marks text containing attributes. You must disable this setting in JAWS Quick Settings to resolve the issue; just disabling it in the Settings Center is not sufficient.
To resolve the issue:
- Ensure the braille display is on and connected to the computer. You will not see the JAWS braille options if the display is not connected.
- Open Firefox.
- Press Insert + V on the keyboard to open JAWS Quick Settings.
- In the search field, enter the word dots.
- Select Marking uses dots 7 and 8 in the left pane under Braille Options.
- Set the Marking uses dots 7 and 8 menu to Off.
- Select OK to save your changes.