How to download, install, and update the NWEA Secure Testing Browser for Macs and Windows PCs.
How to download the NWEA Secure Testing Browser:In the MAP Administration and Reporting Center (MARC):
- Log in to the MAP Administration and Reporting Center (MARC).
- On the home page, under Information Center, find the link to the appropriate version.
- Click PC Version or Mac Version to download the installer to your computer.
- Navigate to the Technical Resources page in NWEA Connection.
- Under Downloads, find the link to the appropriate version.
- Click PC Secure Browser or Mac Secure Browser to download the installer to your computer.
To install the NWEA Secure Testing Browser on an individual computer:
How to install the NWEA Secure Testing Browser:
- Open the installer application. On Windows, this will be Setup Lockdown Browser.exe. On a Mac, this will be Lockdown Browser.dmg.
- Depending on your browser and computer settings, your computer may open the installer application for you.
- Complete the installation:
- Windows: Continue through the InstallShield wizard to complete the installation.
- Mac: Drag the NWEA Secure Testing Browser icon to the Applications folder icon to complete the installation.
Installing on all computers:
You may also install the NWEA Secure Testing Browser using software deployment tools or by including it on a standard image for the computer. Windows users can extract the MSI from the installer EXE. See MSI for Lockdown Browser. These are considered advanced installation techniques and NWEA Partner Support may not be able to assist you with the installation.
To update, check that you have the current version. If it is not current, download and install the newest version. The new installation will overwrite your previous installation. The most current versions are:
How to update the NWEA Secure Testing Browser:
- PC: 184.108.40.206 - released 2/20/2018
- Mac: 220.127.116.11 - released 2/19/2018
For a full version history, see About the NWEA Secure Testing Browser for Mac and Windows.
How to determine which version is installed:
If you have previously installed the testing browser, you can check the version number by starting the lockdown browser and typing: Ctrl+Alt+V.
You can also check the lockdown browser version using the following steps:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NWEA\NWEA Secure Testing Browser\
- If you are testing on an earlier version of Windows, check in C:\Program Files\NWEA\NWEA Secure Testing Browser\
- If you are using an older version of the testing browser, called Lockdown Browser, check in C:\Program Files (x86)\NWEA\NWEA Secure Testing Browser\
- Right click on the file NWEA Secure Testing Browser or Lockdown Browser.exe
- Select Properties.
- Select the Details tab. File Version is listed under Description.
You can check the testing browser version using the following steps:
- Open the Finder and click on Applications.
- Navigate to NWEA Secure Testing Browser.app and click to highlight.
- Check the application details on the right. The version number is at the bottom of the list.
No, the NWEA Secure Testing Browser must be installed locally. If the browser is installed and launched from a network location, students may experience extremely long load times.
Can I install the NWEA Secure Testing Browser on a networked drive?
Prior to testing, proctors or system administrators should perform a Workstation Readiness Check by launching the NWEA Secure Testing Browser. If the browser successfully launches to the testing session log in screen, the computer has passed the check. More information is available in the System and Technology Guide.
How to verify the NWEA Secure Testing Browser is ready for testing: